essen | Green Smoothie
Happy 2016! As everyone seems to do, I've tried to start off this new year cleaning up my eating habits. If you know Lonnie and I, you'll know we are always the couple voting for ice cream after dinner with friends, and 50% of our grocery shopping time ends up in the frozen novelties aisle searching high and low for the latest Ben & Jerry's flavor. We love dessert, okay? And it's totally okay to love dessert, but making it a ritual, an every day and every night, after every meal kind of "love" just isn't working out.
I've started making just a few changes to my diet and lifestyle, changes I hope to keep forever without being too insane or strict. I've cut out all refined sugars and processed foods, wheat/gluten, and replaced coffee with herbal and green tea. Every now and then, I will indulge and enjoy my favorite sinful treats, but every day, I want to consciously consume and crave real food. And, since Lonnie eats anything I make for him, he's on board too.
Here's my recipe for a green smoothie packed with vitamins, antioxidants, and lots of fiber and protein that will keep you full til lunch, or your next meal. It gives me a serious boost of energy too, so it's a perfect replacement for the caffeine I'm no longer consuming.
(makes roughly two 16oz. servings)
- 2 handfuls baby spinach
- 2 handfuls kale
- 1 banana
- 1 granny smith apple
- juice of 1 lemon
- 3 stalks of celery
- 1 heaping tbls peanut butter (Lonnie's favorite part, but feel free to omit or replace with your favorite nut-butter)
- 1 scoop protein powder (use your favorite, mine is Vega One protein in vanilla)
- 2 tbls chia seeds
- splash of apple cider vinegar (about 1 tbls)
- 2 pitted dates (used as sweetener, stevia is also a good alternative)
- roughly 2-3 cups almond milk or water (I usually eyeball it depending on how thick/thin it is)
- 4-6 large ice cubes
Blend everything together in the Vitamix until smooth, and enjoy immediately.